Type 2 Diabetes CAN be prevented!
Diet and activity are your best defense against diabetes. Protect yourself and your family. Start today by eating healthy, getting exercise and losing weight.
- Increase your physical activity to 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week – start small and work up to this!
- Try walking, dancing, bike riding or playing ball with your friends or family
- Make it fun and exercise with a friend
- Take the stairs
- Make healthier food choices - eat five servings of fruits and vegetables per day
- Reduce or eliminate consumption of empty calories such as sugar sweetened beverages, candy and chips
- Drink water instead of soda
- Put less on your plate
- Use less oil when cooking
- Exercise and healthy eating can help you lose weight. Losing just ten pounds, or 5-7% of your body weight, can reduce your risk of getting diabetes
Know the ABC's of Diabetes Prevention
- A – Hemoglobin A1c (looks at your glucose control over a 3 month period)
- B – Blood Pressure should be less than 130/80
- C – Cholesterol total should be less than 200
If you are Guyanese, West Indian, Asian, Pacific Islander, Hispanic, Native American or African American you have a greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Other risk factors include: being overweight, not getting regular exercise, having a family history of diabetes, and, if you are a mother, having diabetes during pregnancy.
Talk with your doctor about your risks and ask to be tested.
107 Nott Terrace
Schenectady, NY 12308