Information for Contractors
As of April 2010, The EPA requires anyone doing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes built before 1978 to be legally EPA-certified and follow lead-safe work practices to prevent lead contamination.
Need to find a contractor to fix the lead-hazards in your home?
Click here and search by your zip code for a contractor in your area.
Information for contractors that are already EPA certified in lead-safe practices:
- A Refresher course needs to be completed every 5 years to keep your certification. See “Local training offered” below for a schedule of upcoming, free, refresher courses.
Information for contractors that are interested in becoming EPA certified in lead-safe practices:
- Schenectady County requires Renovators and Contractors to complete 2 EPA training courses to be considered an EPA Certified lead safe contractor.
- Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP)Refresher course: a half day (4 hour) course
- Lead Safe Work Practices (LSWP): a full day (8 hour) course
- After successful completion of these courses, participants are certified by the EPA for 5 years.
Local training offered:
- Free training for local contractors to become EPA certified in lead-safe remediation practices are offered by Cornell Cooperative Extension of Albany and the Community Land Trust of Schenectady. Participants must pre-register for these trainings
Click here for more information from the EPA on Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) rule.
How can Schenectady County and the City of Schenectady help you?
- Free trainings to become an EPA certified lead safe contractor
- Free HEPA vacuum loan program.
- See the Documents section of this webpage.
- Free lead clearance testing
- Hire you to remediate lead from qualifying homes in the City of Schenectady through the City’s lead remediation grant. Call Frank at 386-2818 for more information on contractor jobs.
Any questions? Call Frank at the Schenectady County Health Services at 386-2818 for questions, concerns and more information.