Traffic Patterns in Niskayuna and Schenectady Altered
Schenectady County will host the Pedal-Paddle-Run Triathlon on Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 8am. The event will start and end at Aqueduct Park in Niskayuna and participants will run and bike on Aqueduct Road/Van Vranken Avenue and the Mohawk-Hudson Bike Path and Paddle on the Mohawk River.
“We are excited to once again host our unique Pedal-Paddle-Run triathlon after a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic,” said Schenectady County Legislator Cathy Gatta, Chair of the Tourism, Arts and Special Events Committee. “The safety of our participants is our priority, so we ask drivers in the area to be extra vigilant of bicyclists and runners during the event.”
Traffic patterns in the Town of Niskayuna and the City of Schenectady will be altered during the event:
- Aqueduct Road from Balltown Road until the Maxon Road Extension will be closed to all vehicular traffic between 7am and approximately 11am. Traffic will be rerouted at Maxon Road & Van Vranken Avenue as well as on Balltown Road and Aqueduct Road by the police.
- Local traffic on North End Drive, Sara Court, Saint Jean Place, and Anthony Street will be rerouted toward Technology Drive and only allowed to cross the route at the police/flagger’s discretion.
- Local traffic on South Ravine Road, North Ravine Road and Napa Court will be rerouted to Banker Avenue.
- Local traffic on Hillside Avenue will be rerouted to Wood Avenue via Avenue A.
- Motorists should be aware that bicyclists and runners will be using town and city streets; extreme caution should be exercised while the race is ongoing.
Online registration is closed. Same-day registration is available from 6:30 – 7:15am on May 14 at Aqueduct Park. Registration is $30 per participant. Cash or checks will be accepted.
The “Not Your Typical Triathlon” Pedal-Paddle-Run is a timed event that includes approximately seven miles of biking, approximately two miles of kayaking/canoeing and a 5k run. Participants must be 16 years of age or older and may compete as individuals or as part of a relay team.
For additional information and maps of the race routes, which will show the roads affected, can be found at www.schenectadycounty.com/ppr.