All transactions related to Pistol Permits are done BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please make your appointment online or call 518-388-4225
A firearms license, commonly referred to as a pistol permit, can only be issued in New York State by a designated licensing officer, which in Schenectady County is one of the duly elected County Judges.
Penal law 400.00 requires basic criteria to be established in order for a license to be issued. The applicant must demonstrate the following
- Good moral character.
- Lack of conviction of a felony or a serious offense.
- Absence of any mental illness or confinement to any hospital/institution for mental illness
- Lack of good cause for denial of license
An applicant must also:
- Be 21 years of age or older and a resident of Schenectady County for at least 6 months.
- Must have a New York State Driver's License or Non-Drive ID. (NEW)
- Have no felony convictions or other serious offense.
- Complete the Pistol Permit Application Form in triplicate (3 copies - print double sided Single-sided will not be accepted). Please only include page 2 of the application if you have more than four (4) guns to register.
- Submit a letter to The Honorable Judge Mark J. Caruso with application.
- Submit proof of successful completion of handgun safety training program.
- Have four individuals submit a character reference on your behalf directly to the sheriff's office before you submit your application. (Print double sided Single-sided will not be accepted)
- Be fingerprinted by the Schenectady County Sheriff
- Receive approval by the Schenectady County Sheriff who will forward application to Judge Caruso for final approval.
Reminder: Background checks are required for transactions between individuals. The background check must be done by a dealer and they can charge up to $10 for the background check. For more information please visit the New York Safe Act website.
- Forms and Applications
- Approved Training Programs