SC Moves Resources & Information
(To reduce the risk of injury, before beginning any new exercise activity or program, please consult a healthcare provider for appropriate exercise prescription and safety precautions. Any sample exercise instruction and advice presented are in no way intended as a substitute for medical consultation.)
Here are some simple exercises you can start incorporating into your fitness routine (click on the name for interactive instructions). Most exercises can be modified in some way if you are unable to do them as prescribed.
- Start by placing your hands directing under your shoulders.
- Place your feet about hip-width apart. Your body should now be in a straight line. Keep your neck neutral and do not tilt your head.
- Lower your body towards the ground. Keep your elbows close to your body.
If you can’t do a traditional pushup, you can widen the distance between your feet. You can also place your knees on the ground for a traditional modified push-up.
- Start by placing your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your back straight and look straight ahead.
- Squat only as far as your flexibility allows, keeping your heels on the ground. Your knees should not go past your toes. Pay specific attention to your knees. They should follow in line with your toes and should buckle in.
If body weight squats start to get easy, add weight to them! Start small and work yourself up!
- Stand against a wall with a flat back or against a stability ball.
- Walk your feet 1-2 feet in front of you and spread your feet about shoulder width apart.
- Slide your back down the wall until your knees are bent at a 90 degree angle. Knees should be straight above your ankles, never extending past your feet.
- Contract your abdominals and hold for 1 minute.
Start small! If you cannot do the full minute, modify and do shorter wall sits.
- Lie on your stomach with your legs extended back and your arms extended over your head.
- Relax your head. Your body should be aligned in a straight line.
- Lift your legs and arms up slightly and contract your abdominals. Keep your head still.
- Lower your legs.
Think of this one as if you are flying. Reach up and forward.
These are just a few exercises you can do. The American Council on Exercise maintains an extensive exercise library with pictures and complete instructions on hundreds of exercises.
Sample Walking Routes
We’ve compiled a number of walking routes to help people start their process. While many focus on the Downtown Schenectady area, we are constantly working to include more in a variety of neighborhoods throughout the County. Click on the links below to see the routes.
1 mi Rivers Casino Out and Back
0.5 mi Rivers Casino Out and Back
1 mi Union College Loop
0.25 mi Union College Gym Loop
0.5 mi Union College Loop
0.5 mi Union College Loop #2
1 mi Jay Street Loop
0.5 mi Riverside Park Loop
0.5 mi Riverside Park Out and Back
0.5 mi County Office Building Loop
0.25 mi Central Library Out and Back
0.45 mi Central Library Loop
0.85 mi Ellis Hospital (Nott) Loop
0.5 mi Ellis Hospital (Nott) Loop
0.25 mi Ellis Hospital (Nott) Out and Back
0.25 mi City Hall Loop
0.3 mi Public Health Out and Back
0.6 mi Public Health Loop
0.5 mi MVP Out and Back
0.25 mi MVP Out and Back
0.5 mi Proctors Loop
0.3 mi Veterans Park Loop
Note: All distances are approximations. Exact distances will vary depending on starting points.
When you are walking around Schenectady, always remember these pedestrian safety tips:
- Cross streets at a corner, using traffic signals where available and crosswalks.
- Always look left, right, and left again before crossing a street, and keep watching as you cross.
- Pedestrians should be especially careful at intersections, where drivers may fail to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians while turning onto another street.
- Make sure you are seen:
- Make eye contact with drivers when crossing busy streets.
- Wear bright colors or reflective clothing if you are walking near traffic at night.
- Carry a flashlight when walking in the dark.
Other Helpful Links:
Public Health Services
107 Nott Terrace
Schenectady, NY 12308