Juvenile Services Q&A

What are PINS (Person In Need of Supervision)?
A person in need of supervision (PINS) is an individual under the age of 18 whom
  • Does not attend school
  • Behaves in a way that is incorrigible, ungovernable, or habitually disobedient
  • Is beyond the control of a parent, guardian or lawful authority
  • Is suspected of drug abuse
  • Requires supervision or treatment
What is Juvenile Delinquency?
Juvenile delinquency refers to participation in illegal behavior by minors (juveniles, i.e. individuals younger than the statutory age of majority). Most legal systems prescribe specific procedures for dealing with juveniles, such as juvenile detention centers, and courts.
I have a concern about my child.  How do I get help?
The Probation Department has someone available every business day from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. to discuss your situation and answer your questions. The intake worker is knowledgeable regarding community resources and will discuss whether the PINS Diversion Program is right for you and your family.
My child leaves home without my permission.  What can I do?
If your child has left home and you do not know his/her whereabouts, file a Missing Person’s report with the Police. Once you have filed a Missing Person’s report, and you continue to be unaware of your child’s whereabouts, call the Probation Department and ask for an intake worker. If appropriate, the intake worker will assist you in preparing a PINS Petition for the purpose of securing a warrant. If your child’s whereabouts are known, the PINS Diversion Program can help you determine an appropriate curfew for your child, support your child’s adherence to the curfew and address other possible behavior issues in the home. An intake worker would also discuss what community resources may be available to promote more pro-social activities for your child and/or services directed toward the specific needs of your child and family.
My child will not attend school.  What can I do?
You should first let your child’s school administration know that you are having difficulties getting your child to school and see what resources the school may have to motivate your child to attend. If attendance problems continue, your child’s school or you may contact an intake worker at this department to see if a PINS Diversion referral is appropriate for your child. A Probation Officer would works directly with your child, meet regularly with school personnel to monitor your child’s progress, set up supports within the school and work with you to see if there are any community services that might help address the issues behind the poor attendance. According to the Education Law, your child is legally responsible to attend the year in which your child turns 16. However, the Family Court does have jurisdiction of juveniles until they are eighteen and may require your child to attend school if the matter necessitates court intervention.




Contact Info

Thomas Zampella

Timothy Ferrara
Deputy Director

Center for Juvenile Justice
388 Broadway
Schenectady, NY 12305

(518) 386-2271
(518) 386-2277  Fax

Hours:  8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.