Schenectady County envisions a workforce that mirrors the larger community and reflects our rich diversity of people and cultures. To achieve this goal, Schenectady County strongly endorses the use of Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action mechanisms to ensure equal opportunities for all employees, job applicants, and contract vendors. It is the policy of Schenectady County to:
- Fully comply with all Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action laws, rules, regulations and definitive court decisions;
- Guarantee County programs are accessible to all as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act;
- Prohibit sexual, racial, national origin, and other unlawful discrimination in employment
- Promote the full realization of equal opportunity for the County as a whole and each constituent department within the County.
The Schenectady County Office of Affirmative Action has been established to implement and enforce the County Affirmative Action Plan that will:
- Engage in personnel practices and policies that result in the County government workforce reflecting the demographic diversity of the County;
- Actively recruit members of protected classes for County employment
- Strongly enforce Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action guidelines in vendor contracts.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) establishes a federal prohibition of discrimination against persons with disabilities in employment and ensures equal access for persons with disabilities to public accommodations, public services transportation and telecommunications.
Affirmative Action recruits qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans for current and future job vacancies.
For more information regarding employment opportunities, contact Affirmative Action at (518) 388-4233 ext. 4171 or send an email to:
There are many benefits to filing your resume and information with the Affirmative Action Office. These benefits include:
- Notifications and updates on available county, city and private jobs based upon your qualifications
- Contacts to city and county contractors
- Information on city and county contract bids
- Free preparation and review for county and city tests
- Regular phone and e-mail updates
- Job fair notifications and resume workshops
- Information on available training
If you are interested in filing your resume or submitting your information please contact the Affirmative Action Office or fax your information to 518-388-4235.
Affirmative Action Manager
620 State Street, 2nd Floor