Medical Assistance, Medical Services and Managed Care/SSI
Who is eligible for MEDICAID?
You may be eligible for Medical Assistance if you receive Public Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or if you meet income, resource, age or disability criteria. There are special programs to help if you are pregnant or have a child. If you are pregnant, a worker at the clinic or hospital you are using for prenatal care can assist you to apply for Medicaid. If you have a child, he/she may be eligible for Medicaid, but if Medicaid ineligible may qualify for the NEW YORK STATE CHILD HEALTH PLUS PROGRAM.
What Medical Services are paid for by Medicaid in New York State?
- inpatient care in hospitals
- outpatient care at hospitals
- physician services
- clinic services
- dental care
- drugs (prescription and non-prescription)
- nursing home care
- personal care/long term home health care
- domiciliary care facilities
- child teen/health program
- managed care
- prenatal care
- family planning
- laboratory and X-ray services
- mental health services
- health insurance and Medicare premium payments
How can I apply for Medical Assistance or for Child Health Plus?
The application and instructions are available online:
Medicaid and Child Health Plus Application with instructions
Applications for Medical Assistance are available and can be filed at the Social Services Main Office, 797 Broadway, Schenectady, NY, 12305.
Applications may also be mailed to the Social Services Main Office at 797 Broadway, Schenectady, New York 12305.
For your convenience, applications for Medicaid and Child Health Plus can be filed at several community based organizations or with one of the following facilitated enrollment groups which have sites throughout Schenectady County:
- St. Clare's Family Health Center
- Schenectady Community Health Center
- Schenectady County Adult Protective Services
- Planned Parenthood Clinics
- Healthy Capital District Initiative (HCDI) - 518-462-7040
- Fidelis Care - 518-427-0481
- Catholic Charities - 518-374-5667
- Capital District Physician's Health Plan
Schenectady County Department of Social Services has a deputized worker program for Ellis Hospital and Albany Medical Center. This program allows people who are hospitalized to apply for Medicaid at that facility.
Schenectady, NY 12305-2704
518-388-4279(p) - Child Protective
518-388-4470 (p) - Main DSS