All transaction related to Pistol Permits are done BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Please call 388-4225 or email firstname.lastname@example.orgSchenectady County Clerk Pistol Permit Section
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 9:15am - 4:15pm
(Closed for Lunch 11:45am - 1:15pm)
A firearms license, commonly referred to as a pistol permit, can only be issued in New York State by a designated licensing officer, which in Schenectady County is one of the duly electd County Judges.
Penal law 400.00 requires basic criteria to be established in order for a license to be issued. The applicant must demonstrate the following
- Good moral character.
- Lack of conviction of a felony or a serious offense.
- Absence of any mental illness or confinement to any hospital/institution for mental illness
- Lack of good cause for denial of license.
An applicant must also:
- Be 21 years of age or older and a resident of Schenectady County for at least 6 months.
- Have no felony convistions or other serious offense.
- Complete the Pistol Permit Application Form in triplicate (3 copies - print double sided).
- Submit a letter to The Honorable Judge Matthew Sypniewski with application.
- Submit proof of successful completion of handgun safety training program.
- Have four individuals submit a character reference on your behalf directly to the sheriff's office before you submit your application.
- Be fingerprinted.
- Receive approval by the Schenectady County Sheriff who will forward application to Judge Sypniewski for final approval.
* Please note: IF YOU ARE USING THE APPLICATION FORM or CHARACTER REFERENCE FORM DOWNLOADED FROM THE COUNTY'S WEBSITE, PLEASE PRINT OUT DOUBLE SIDED. SINGLE SIDED APPLICATIONS OR REFERENCE FORMS ON MULITPLE PAGES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Click here for complete Pistol Permit instructions.
Click here for Character Reference Form.
Firearm Bill of Sale form
Co-Registration of Firearms form